Sunday, September 17, 2023

Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about REVENGE?

 



Often I can tell what´s going to be the next big thing before lots of other people when it comes to Grindcore / Power Violence. On the other hand I´m late to parties regularly. I almost missed the big REVENGE party completely. I discovered them just 2023 when they already released a ton of records. I mean their 1st output is from 2001. Imagine listening to to Terrorizers "World downfall" album for the 1st time in 2023 :-D

Anyway better late than never. I gave them a try when Season of Mist records had a vinyl blowout and I was wondering what to order besides Rotten Sound´s "Apocalypse" and Abbath´s "Dread Reaver". Two records I refused to pay about 30€ when they came out.

But I´m drifting away. How insane is REVENGE? What would you call their music style? They call it Black Metal??????? It´s raw, it´s brutal, it´s sick but it doesn´t even sound metal to me! But who cares?

How would you describe it? To me it sounds like DROPDEAD on steroids covering the fastest old Marduk songs you can imagine recorded to a broken walkman from 1980 and cranked everything up to 11!!!. Ok there is a connection to Black Metal now. 

But what do I know? I´m just a poser who discovered "Scum Defection" in 2023. But there have been few bands that blew me away like REVENGE did. The only thing I don´t like are those harmonized vocals but I didn´t like those on Carcass´ "Reek of putrefection" either back in 1988. And those computer vocals are the reason I don´t like lots of Goregrind bands. Good thing is REVENGE use it rarely.

Let me know what your favourite REVENGE release is. I don´t know all of them yet but until then "Behold.Total.Rejection" is my fave!!!




No comments: